Can CBD Oil Help Relieve Toothache?
Toothache is truly one of the most dreaded of our general aches and pains. Acute pain that stops us from sleeping, feels impossible to sooth and has an immeasurable impact on our mood and wellbeing. In this post we explore the potential for CBD in relieving dental pain.
What is Toothache?
It’s a bit of a “catch all” term – People can get toothache for many reasons, and its one of those things that can impact us at any age or stage of our lives. Quite often, toothache will not just “get better”, it will need dental intervention, but there are ways we can help ourselves to manage the pain leading up to treatment, and post treatment.
Some of the most common causes of toothache are;
- Dental abscess – Caused by bacterial infections, this manifests itself in puss that can form inside the teeth, gums or bone
- Sharp Pain – Typically caused by a cavity or loose filling
- Sensitivity – Many people suffer with generally sensitive teeth, but sometimes this can evolve into severe pain
- Dull aches – Could be due to something stuck in your teeth or something having aggravated the gums around your teeth
- Gum disease – Red, swollen or bleeding gums, generally caused by a plaque build up
- Injury – Such as a cracked, broken or lost tooth
- Migraines or Sinusitis – Pain can be spread through the head, neck and often teeth
Symptoms vary depending on cause and severity, but generally people will experience
- A dull, persistent ache that refuses to abate
- Sharp, stabbing pains particularly when exposed to hot or cold
- Headache or other general aches and pains
- Disturbed sleep
- Inflammation of the gums
- Bad taste in the mouth and bad breath
Can CBD Help?
In order to help fight the pain experienced when you have a toothache, we generally need a balance of pain relieving, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory compounds. CBD Oil is well documented in this arena. The known benefits of CBD include;
- Pain Management - CBD is studied extensively for its pain relieving properties – In dealing with all kinds of pain from headaches and migraines to acute nerve pain
- Reducing inflammation – The anti-inflammatory properties of CBD can reduce inflammation which is a key source of pain
- CBD is a natural antibacterial and antiseptic
- CBD helps to reduce the stress and anxiety that can accompany your toothache - or the treatment options you’re considering
As with many other functions in the body such as immune support, CBD can help deliver better overall oral health, for instance, the anti-inflammatory properties of CBD can help minimise the risk of gum disease.
How to take CBD for Toothache
- CBD Oil is generally best taken under the tongue for fast absorption into your blood stream, in the case of toothache, a topical application of CBD Oil may be best. You can use your CBD dropped to target the specific area of the pain, allowing targeted relief.
- Ensure you are using a top-quality 10ml - 10% CBD Oil (1000mgs) containing a good number of Mgs of CBD – There is little point trying to address pain with any CBD product that translates to a lower strength of CBD, you will not gain the therapeutic benefits.
- Apply the oil as per instructions, typically 2 or 3 times per day.
- You can also take CBD Oil under the tongue as normal, or via a softgel capsule, but applied directly onto the affected area is likely to deliver the maximum relief.
- Use a full-spectrum CBD Oil for the maximum benefit – Full-spectrum oils contain other therapeutic compounds from the Hemp Plant that can also support in pain management.
- Speak to your dentist, particularly if you are likely to undergo immediate treatment for your dental pain.
Browse our range of full-spectrum CBD Oils here – Our products range from 2% CBD to 20% CBD, we always recommend starting with the lower dose if you are new to CBD. Please view our guide: How to take CBD Oil