CBD FOR DEPRESSION
Depression, or a major depressive disorder is a mood disorder impacting many people across a broad spectrum of ages. Most people feel depressed or sad at some stage in their lives, it’s a normal reaction to many of life’s situations, however for some people this feeling is a constant – perpetuating and far reaching negative impact on them, and their loved ones.
When someone is suffering from depression, a specific region of the brain, known as the Hippocampus, can deteriorate or even shrink. The importance of the Hippocampus cannot be stressed enough, as it is the area of the brain responsible for memory, learning and emotion. It also has the capability to grow new neurons and form new connections, a process known as ‘neurogenesis’. Antidepressants can work for depression by stimulating the process of neurogenesis within the Hippocampus.
CBD has been studied alongside depression and the Hippocampus function, with many people reporting positive results.
CBD and the Hippocampus
Cannabidiol, the only FDA approved CBD product on the market, is often used to treat seizures. The major reason it has such great success in combating seizures is that CBD protects neurons in the Hippocampus.
CBD could protect and regenerate the Hippocampus via;
- Serotonin Receptors - CBD activates the type of Serotonin receptor, which control a variety of other neurotransmitters.
- Endocannabinoid System – CBDs role within the Endocannabinoid System (ECS) is thought to include increasing the brain's natural level of endocannabinoids
Brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in animal testing has shown that CBD increases BDNF levels in the Hippocampus, while simultaneously reducing its depressive symptoms.
CBD and Depression Symptoms
The condition of depression and the symptoms are equally complex and life-changing for the sufferer.
Similarly to the evidence supporting CBD against anxiety, clinical trials involving CBD and depression are at infancy stages but tests and trials to date are producing extremely positive results. Symptoms of depression can include;
- Constant sadness or lack of interest in anything
- You feel tired and lethargic – Your sleep may also be impacted (either too much or too little)
- You feel emotionally negative – feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- Your memory can be impacted and it can be difficult to focus
- Your appetite can be impacted – Again either increased or decreased
These symptoms are all areas that can be supported by a healthy Endocannabinoid system, which can be supported by CDB intake. Read more about the Endocannabinoid system and CBD here.
Please note: Although CBD might be useful as a long-term recovery plan, it should not be used in place of your current medication. Please consult your GP before incorporating CBD alongside or instead of prescribed drugs.